Thursday, December 18, 2008

New Years Resolutions are BS (Bologne Syrup)

Hello all!

I'm sitting here in my office, and the school is as quiet as it ever gets. Wendy, as you know, is on vacation. I am here by myself. The phone is unusually, almost eerily, quiet - a sign that the holiday season is about to descend upon us like a warm, fuzzy blanket.

And what always follows the warm fuzziness of the Thanksgiving - Christmas stretch?

New Year Resolutions!

I project that approximately 92% of us here in the Northville area will be making a resolution this year. I guess we can all look forward to a thinner and more attractive population, who doesn't smoke, who "takes time for the little things", who reads more, who travels more, who saves more. Yes, I imagine that round about March the city of Northville will be COMPLETELY transformed as the New Years plans of our 200,000 neighbors come to fruition.

Or... maybe not?

A quick google search told me that about 8% of people who make new years resolutions actually say they keep them. Why do I point this out? Because I wanted you to consider two ideas for your January resolving:

1) That a five year plan is the best and easiest way to create and keep goals, and

2) That if you are not a five year plan kind of person, you might try this instead (and instead of making another fragile New Year's resolution) --

If you know that you are going to only see your new goal through to February or March, I feel you NEED to think this way:

"What can I do in the first month of 2009 that will "set me up" for success in the rest of the Year?"

No comments: