Monday, December 20, 2010

Be Careful of These Two Words - by Keith Hafner

When dealing with kids (or really anybody, for that
matter...read: spouse), be careful how you use the
words ALWAYS and NEVER.

Have you ever had anybody, while upset with you, say,
"You know you ALWAYS (leave your sock on the floor;
forget my birthday; are crabby when you get home...)

or...

"You NEVER (appreciate what I do; include me in your
plans; help with the chores)...

This kind of hyperbole creates a defensive reaction in the
person you are talking to. They immediately think (or say),
"That's not true! Don't you remember when I..."

And -- you've got an adversarial situation on your hands.
With your exaggeration, you've made it difficult for them
do focus on or discuss the point you are trying to make.

Instead, substitute words like "sometimes" and "occasionally"
as in: "Michael, SOMETIMES when I ask you to do something..."

No comments: